Whirlwind Weekend Of Jazz!!!
Date: August 23, 2022
Time: 11:05 P.M. EDT
Hello Jazz Buddies,
Hope you’ve had an incredible summer of getting back into ‘live’ Jazz, both venues and festivals, as things open back up full tilt, however, with you continuing to take safety and health precautions…
I just wanted to share my amazing and incredible local/bi-coastal extended weekend of Jazz (and photos) with you:
• Willie Jones, III, Sextet feat. Steve Davis, Justin Robinson, Giveton Gelin, James Austin & Endea Owens (Dizzy’s@JALC)
• “Heavy Hitters” feat. Eric Alexander, Jeremy Pelt, Jim Snidero, Alex Claffy & Kenny Washington (Smoke)
• Scatter The Atoms That Remain feat. Franklin Kiermyer, Davis Whitfield, Yasushi Nakamura & ???(tenor sax) (Smalls)
• Steve Turre “Generations” Sextet feat. Vincent Herring, Wallace Roney, Jr., Davis Whitfield, Corcoran Holt & Orion Turre (Keystone Korner)
• Roy McCurdy Sextet feat. Eddie Henderson, Ralph Moore, Andrew Speight, Matt Clark & David Wong (House of Bop) (‘live’ recording)
Monday, Santa Cruz
• John Pizzarelli Trio feat. Tadataka Unno & Paul Keller (Kuumbwa)
On Sunday, soon after touching down at San Jose Airport, I had the privilege and honor to celebrate the 96th birthday (on Friday) of a very special Bay Area Jazz buddy, Jean, at the Miramar Restaurant in Half Moon Bay (next door to Bach Dancing & Dynamite Society). I joined her daughter, son-in-law, and Gloria, another member of my famous (infamous) Jazz trio for some great seafood and catching up.
Overall, the music, artistry, improvisation, vibe, ambiance, food, and fellowship over these past five days were amazing, unbelievable, and great for the soul and the spirit!!
Hope to see you around town… Baltimore, WDC, NYC, Bay Area or Detroit! Please continue to support ‘live’ Jazz and Jazz musicians. Take care!!!